Zlatograd is a city in the southern Rhodope Mountains in Varbitsa river valley and is known as the city of Delyo. It is famous with its beauty and rich history and culture. It is located about 300 km southeast of Sofia, 60 km from the town of Smolyan and 6 km north from the border checkpoint Zlatograd - Thermes, which leads to the Greek city Xanthi.
The historical monuments excavated by archaeologists suggest that the Thracians were the first settlers here. With Rhodopes is connected the memory of the ancient singer Orpheus, and here was located the sanctuary of the Thracian god Dionysus. One of the greatest contemporary landmarks of Zlatograd is the Ethnographic Area Complex, representing an outdoors museum exhibition of Renaissance life and culture of Zlatograd. The complex includes a historical-ethnographic museum, located in a renovated Revival house and craft workshops, which offer hand-made souvenirs and eating houses with Rhodope specialties. The complex belongs to the attractive "Vuntsova mill" - consisting of a valyavitsa, fulling mill and cafe, which offers the traditional "sand coffee." It is cooked on hot sand and served by special ritual of rotation of the cup. In Zlatograd you can visit the oldest church in the Rhodopes, built in 1834, the church "Assumption", which stores valuable icons and the opened in 1871 church "St. George."
In one of the Renaissance houses is located the one and only in Bulgaria museum collection of Communications (postal, telegraph and telephone). Another tourist attraction is the Stoyan house with its church school from 1832, which is a testament to early education in the Rhodope region. In Zlatograd is the oldest written record of the Rhodopes - "Zlatograd pismovnik" from 1852.
The region offers marked routes to various monuments and historical sites, and on the hill above the village Startsevo, is the Thracian sanctuary "White Stones", from which are revealed magnificent views of almost the entire Eastern Rhodopes. "Zlatograd" lake is the perfect place for walking and fishing.
What to visit:
Working hours: daily from 9.00 to 17.30
groups: organized and with translator
phone: + 3593071/41 66 + 3593071/25 88
address: 4980 Zlatograd Street. '' Evgenia Pachilova ''
Web site: www.eac-bg.com
The Historical-ethnographic museum is located in one of the two buildings forming a kind of architectural ensemble from the second half of the nineteenth century, which bears the name of its former owners "Aleksandrov houses".
At the entrance visitors are greeted by employee dressed in traditional local costume. She not only accompanies the guests, but also shows the essential features of the exhibits related to the traditional lifestyle and clothing of Zlatograd. Especially interesting is the demonstration of women's skills in weaving and homework exercises to prepare the yarn - dragging, spinning, twisting, etc.
Area "White Stones"
The area "White Stones" is a mountain peak over Startsevo. The name comes from the bare white limestone rocks, from which the top is built. It has a magnificent views of virtually the entire Eastern Rhodopes. Archaeological surveys of the top shows that at the deep crevices of rocks the Thracians placed coins, pottery, wheat, millet, then then smeared the cracks with clay. This gives a basis to the archeologists to define it as an antique temple of V century BC Hr. to IV c. AD. Hr.
Natural phenomenon "Crocodile"
The Natural phenomenon "Crocodile" is located between the villages Dobromirtsi and Benkovski, about 15km from Zlatograd, in the direction of Kardzhali. It represents rocks with different and bizarre forms, and one of them has a distinct shape of a crocodile. 41 ° 22'47.9 "N 25 ° 14'53.2" E
The rock tomb Mazhentsi is located near the village Dedets and testifies for the presence of Thracian tribes in the area at the end of the second thousand BC. The site is a well-preserved tomb with cavernous shape. It is cut round in the base of wind-shaped sandstones and has a large and well distinctive entrance at the end of which is noticeable a groove of closing him plate. 25.24984360; 41.39331039
Town of Nedelino
It is situated in 15 km from the Zlatograd and it is located in the southern Rhodope Mountains, on both banks of Nedelinska river. Above the town are majestically towering the twin peaks St. Nedelya and St. Elijah. In Nedelino there are 12 medieval bridges, called by locals "Roman bridges ", each of them has a story, but the most heartbreaking is the one about the so-called "Turkish bridge."