Lakatnik (Osikovska) rocks are situated on the left bank of Iskar river between the rivers Opletnenska and Proboinitsa. The 250 meter high cliffs have given the beginning of organized mountaineering in Bulgaria.
Getting there: It is located on 60km from the town Vratsa to Sofia city by Iskar Gorge.
The site can be visited year round by tourists.
In the area you can visit:
- Cave "Dark Hole" - its hole is 27 m. above the left bank of Iskar river, north of Station Lakatnik. It consists of four floors and two main galleries and an intricate maze of entrances, galleries, waterfalls, rapids, drains, lakes and underground rivers. The whole system has a total length of over 9,000 m, which ranks it as the first in length among Balkan caves. Studies of the galleries continue. It is not rich in formations, but its remarkable cave fauna in this respect is one of the best studied.
- Karst spring "Zhitolyub" - Located at the foot of Lakatnishkite rocks below the cave Dark Hole 8 m from the level of Iskar river. The spring is one of the largest karst springs in the country and is the brainchild of two underground rivers. Sinkholes bear some of the rivers Petrenska and Proboinitsa that pass through the water levels of the Dark hole and are poured through a narrow siphon into the fountain at the foot of the cliffs. When there are overflowing rains through it pass up to 1200 liters per second. Around the springs are located a small restaurant and an artificial lake.
- Alpine shelter "Eagle's Nest"
- On the rocks there is a massive monument with red five-pointed star. Its purpose is to remind those who died in September 1923.
- Next to it stands the 10-foot iron cross elevated in 2001 in memory of the fallen mountaineers and climbers from all over the country, where every year is held a public prayer.
The surrounding area includes the following tracks:
- Tourist route: Station Lakatnik - with. Milanovo - x. Parshevitsa (5h).
- Hiking and biking route "Mahala Svrazhen - Mahala Staro Selo" (1.5 h).