Shishmanovo fortress is located on the road to the villages of Samokov and Beli Iskar after Samokov. The road to the fortress is reached by a good dirt road and the deviation is indicated by a large sign. There’s no problem to reach by car the gazebo at the beginning of the complex.
According to the archaeologists there was a fortified wall and the monastery was behind the fortress wall, attached to it. The basilica was outside the fortress wall. The constructions are from the Roman Empire. The monastery complex was burned in the VII century AD.
On the hill is placed a cross, a symbol of the Bulgarian faith. The monument was declared an archaeological site of national importance. The place is venerated by populations as a battleground of the last battle of King Shishman with the Turks and the tomb of King Shishman. Perhaps here in 1388 in a fight with the Turks actually died, not the king, but his brother Ivan Asen V Shishman. Shishmanovo Kale is the first archaeological site mentioned in Bulgarian journalism from Konstantin Fotinov.
The disclosure confirms the assumptions that here on ancient Thracian settlement of the last centuries BC was located the medieval Samokov of 12-14 century, documented its present place in the field of 550 years.
Legends associate this place with the final battle of King Shishman and the fall under Ottoman rule, with his death and his grave with his treasury and crown hidden in a cave somewhere around. According to legend here Shishman king has stood for the last battle with the Turks. In the battle, his head was cut, but he, very healthy and strong, even beheaded continued to move forward, brandishing his sword and cutting down the Ottomans and the severed on the hill head, fell rolling on the hills over seven times and that is how appeared the seven springs called Tsarevi wells.